Friday, July 15, 2022

Practicing Hope

**Written in 2016 and forgotten**

 

November 30: Tim preaches on Hope at Vineyard Church and how it is rooted in the past, practiced in the present, and realized in the future. He quotes Romans 8:22-25: "We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently."

Tim challenges us to "seek the courage to experience our circumstances to find God working in them" and to "intentionally practice hope."

And I realize that hope is not a fuzzy-warm feeling of "everything's going to be okay" but an uncomfortable, sometimes painful, process of waiting and striving and expecting diligently.

December 19: I was still thinking about this sermon and wrote the following on the Facebook page we use to pray for our church:

Continuing the theme of hope especially after Tim preached about it. It's been stuck in my head. So there I was, reading this great book (Daring Greatly by Brene Brown) and I read:

"According to Snyder, who dedicated his career to studying this topic, hope isn't an emotion; it's a way of thinking or a cognitive process . . . Hope happens when:
1. We have the ability to set realistic goals (I know where I want to go)

2. We are able to figure out how to achieve those goals, including the ability to stay flexible and develop alternative routes (I know how to get there, I'm persistent, and I can tolerate disappointment and try again)
3. We believe in ourselves (I can do this!)"

These words are written by a hope researcher from a scientific point of view but I felt God poke at me when I read them. I feel convicted that God is asking me, and perhaps all of us, to practice hope.

God, my prayer is for You to supernaturally move through our church family and give us real hope. Not just an emotional feeling but a profound belief that You can do this! Give us the courage and strength to set realistic goals. Give us the humility and wisdom to be flexible in those goals if Your way looks a little different. Remind us of Your almighty power to accomplish anything through the people You put here.

I'm reminded that God's way often appears counter-intuitive, conundrumical, or paradoxical. Lord, I pray You work through the limits of our minds and imaginations.

Let our words, thoughts, and actions bring glory to Your name.


December 26: My neighbors are in a car accident that appears horrible and leaves them bruised but everyone walks away (Thank the Lord). Their beloved family dog runs away from the accident but efforts to find him are immediately organized.


December 27: I learn about the accident and I'm sad about the dog. God hears my cries.

December 28: While walking around looking for this dog, I'm singing Oh Lord, My Shepherd Be and thinking about Matthew 18:12: “What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off?"

December 29: I go looking for the dog again. It's hard to feel sad and still try to find a solution. I cry out to God.

December 30: I share with a coworker how much harder it is to care about something. I cry a lot more when I care. Hoping hurts.

December 31: It's the last day of the year and I'm reading this phenomenal book by Daniel Siegal called The Whole-Brain Child. On page 99, he writes "There's a lot of scientific evidence demonstrating that focused attention leads to the reshaping of the brain . . . the physical architecture of the brain changes according to where we direct our attention and what we practice doing."

I'm reminded of Philippians 4:8: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."

I'm practicing.


May 12: God made miraculous things happen to my neighbors who lost their dog. They found a dog similar to the one they lost that just happened to be his brother. This brother had been lost for over a year. My neighbors made friends with this dog's owner and they got to keep the dog. It's one more part of the story. I'm hopeful for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment