Sunday, February 8, 2015

Joy

I type this in the back of the car while we travel home from visiting family. Nostalgia strikes.

The older I get the more I appreciate the true gift of my family. Though we cannot earn God's love, I know He desires us to feel it directly  and through human companionship, affection and fun. I am lucky to have these things in my biological family and in my acquired friends and church family.

We were gathered with my brother's in-laws to celebrate my niece's dedication at church. In our brief time, we played music, practiced trap shooting (I hit five!), cooked, and threw snow balls.

Some videos and pictures were taken but I will have to remember that perfect baby smell, watching her eyes light up to You Are My Sunshine, the awe of knowing this child has so much to look forward to and how much I have to give.

I watched two sets of grandparents and the great-grandparent respect the new parents and be pillars of support. If only everyone on the planet could experience the depth of nurturing displayed for one tiny human...what a world that would be.

I'm lucky to have this family. What joy is found in communion with God and those who love him. I want to be this kind of family in my community. I'm dedicated to that.

1 comment: